You’ve probably experienced times in your life when you’ve felt free, deeply connected with others, wholly engaged with life, and fully in your heart. In this expansive state, it’s been easy for you to love, and to act joyously, creatively, and powerfully towards the fulfillment of your visions and heart’s desires.
You’ve probably also experienced times when you’ve felt anything but free—when you’ve felt small and constricted, disconnected, unable to get out of your own way, stuck in pain, fear, self-judgment, limiting ideas, or deeply ingrained patterns.
Very likely you spend much of your time somewhere in between—in a state where you’re “fine,” but perhaps have a persistent, low-grade sense of frustration or resignation, or simply know that more is possible for you in your life.
Solsara is a path to freedom.
Through the practice of Solsara we begin to perceive and release the protective habits, attachments, and limiting beliefs that have kept us stuck, separate, lonely, and suffering. As we open, we learn to listen to the subtle voices of our bodies and hearts, allowing them to inform our thinking and actions. We become present. We rediscover our freedom. We naturally and open-heartedly interact with other people and the world in a way that cultivates connection, trust, understanding, and love.
Solsara is not a replacement for psychotherapy. While many participants report therapeutic benefit, we recommend some wonderful therapists on our Resource Page that can support longer term care for trauma, addiction, attachment disorders, mental health challenges, as well as just receiving more support to heal, understand, and explore your own humanness.
"Solsara has been the most powerful tool for transformation in my life thus far. It continuously helps me to open my authentic being by allowing for all emotions to exist and choosing the path of courage again and again. Since attending Solsara my ability to move through fear and resistance has greatly increased. I have tools to be more vulnerable, to be gentle with myself, and to be willing to feel a wider range of emotions.
Personally these tools help me connect better to my family, housemates and friends, as well as people in general. If I am more available in my fullness, I have more to offer."
~Ruby, Portland, OR
THE PILLARS OF SOLSARA
Awaken to Self
• Practice mindfulness
• Be present, open and available
• Know your essence; your Self beyond name, form and personality, beliefs, story
• Be fully authentic: free of artifice, affectation, attitude
• Perceive reality clearly: free from the distortions of attachments, assumptions, preconceptions, and unconscious biases
• Experience equanimity, welcome impermanence
• Be able to distinguish your thoughts from your emotions, and to perceive the connection between them
• Learn to track, welcome, and respond with care to the body’s sensations and needs, and understand the body as an indicator of emotional experience
• Develop self-care
Connection & Relationship
• Communicate and relate honestly and authentically, own your experience
• Feel loved, seen, witnessed, understood
• Experience community, collaboration, co-creation, mutuality, synergy with others
• Connect to our shared human experience
• Understand boundaries vs. barriers; yes vs. no; consent; what’s mine and what’s yours
• Give and receive reflection; say what you see
• Experience non-sexual intimacy and touch
• Be loving, attentive, and honest even when protectiveness and defensiveness arise
Evolve and Create Social Change
• Engage fully with your life
• Take action in alignment with your vision
• Live as an expression of your vision rather than in reaction to your perceived damage
• Be resilient and able to adapt and thrive in the face of changing conditions in the world
• Create social change through compassion, kindness, and bold, direct action
Solsara draws on a long lineage of spiritual teachings; the current form has evolved through many names and iterations over the last 30 years. We have much gratitude and respect for our forebears in this work.
"Solsara has reshaped my life.
I'd always been an analytical, logical thinker stuck in my head. I'd felt a void inside myself that I didn't understand, and I was skeptical of anything too woo-woo or spiritual to fix it.
My first Solsara immersion really surprised me, though—it highlighted a part of me that I didn't even realize had been crying out for attention. I decided to attend the next four immersions in a row, and I went from the guy awkwardly standing on the side of the room watching everyone else dance to being the first one out on the dance floor.
Most of all, I've finally found community, and that turned out to be the big thing that was missing from my life. I've found my people, and Solsara is now the place where I feel most alive." ~ Michael, Portland, OR